Goodbye and Hello

Wow! It has been a LONG time since my last blog post - bad girl!

In that time though there have been a lot of changes happening in my life, and as one of the results of these is that after lots of thinking, and fretting, pondering and cup cake eating I decided to close down Asmartartz Photography.

You know what happened after I made that decision? A weight lifted off my shoulders and I felt a huge relief!
There has been a lot going on in my life over the last 5-6 years, with a lot of upheaval, uncertainty, fear, worry, loss, new starts, endings, more new starts....... you get the picture.
Anyway in all that time and with all that going on, I determinedly stayed pushing on with Asmartartz. What I didn't realise to only very recently is how much all the other stuff was effecting my photography, my self belief in my ability as a photographer, as a business person, my courage to make a business, and make it successful.

I sat and fretted about how rubbish I was, how any moment someone would call me out and tell me how crap my photography was and what did I think I was doing calling myself a photographer? My business days where I should have been concentrating on finding ways to make the business more successful were spent staring at a blank computer screen, while the crushing weight or responsibility and worry crashed in on me. Every time I posted a photo on FB or twitter and it didn't get any comments or likes it would affirm the belief in my head that I was no good at this. I was miserable and confused and had totally lost my way.

Then I realised that I had stopped enjoying photography. I had no interest in picking my camera up, and each time I did I would have to fight the nasty voice in my head that kept telling me that I didn't know what the hell I was doing, and I was just embarrassing myself by walking around with my camera telling people I was a photographer, that all the work I had produced so far had been a lucky fluke.
I felt like I was pretending at this job, it was all a farcical façade, and my heart wasn't in it any more.

But that realisation was almost more terrifying than not wanting to take photos, because that meant if I wasn't a photographer any more, then what the hell was I? It was all that I had wanted to be when I had first started on a new  photography course that was running all those years ago. The thing that had lit me up, made me feel passionate, that gave me an adrenaline rush when I managed to get 'the shot'. It was part of my identity.
The thought of just working in an office pushing papers around a desk for other people for the rest of my life with no end or other options in sight made it hard to breathe, and the walls close in.

But I have just become a home-owner and I realise that I have a responsibility to help pay the mortgage now, and if the photography isn't paying or reaping rewards then the fact that I work part -time to do this isn't fair on my husband.
So with the decision to close the business down, has come the realisation that for now I need to earn more money to pay the bills. So as work have decided to reduce my hours, instead of increase them, I am looking for a 2nd part time job to fill the gaps where the business used to be.

My husband is very supportive of my photography, and has been very patient while I have been struggling with the business for the last couple of years, while he goes off to work every day in a job he doesn't enjoy either. so it is time to support him back.
He believes in me and knows that I have other plans in the pipeline and encourages me with them, so this is not the end, it is just a pause, a breath in while I gather my thoughts together.

The strangest thing has happened though since Asmartartz has gone - I cant stop picking up my camera. I want to just take photo's all the time, and it makes me happy to snap away shooting nothing in particular, with no business to run, and clients to please, I am enjoying it.

I have started looking at it from another angle. No one has to see the photo's I am taking now, there are no expectations so I can take my time, and because at the moment I have not gone a 'genre' of photography I am shooting in, it is massively freeing to shoot whatever I want!
I am having fun and there is a little spark that flutters inside me when I pick up my camera now. I don't have to prove anything now, and I can spend this time learning and creating and enjoying.

Let's go have fun!

gorgeous late afternoon  warm summer light

French horsefly on large white lilly

Chloe Howl playing in Guildford


me, after a girls afternoon tea 
Andrea

0 comments: