2011

I can't believe another year has gone past so fast! I really feels like it was only a couple of months ago that I was writing about the new year ahead of me.

2011 has been a hard year photographically for me, but then I know it has been a hard year for a lot of people, with lots of businesses going to the wall.
I have always tried to keep the things that I post onto my blog positive, so I sometimes would rather not post. But then that is not totally realistic, so I thought the last post for the year should be an honest look at the year.

It has not been a busy year for me, and as other small businesses owners can tell you, it can be very lonely and isolating being self employed. You are your own boss, and you have to try and keep yourself motivated when you are sat on your own staring at the computer screen. There is rarely anyone else to bounce ideas off, or to encourage you to keep pushing through, so unless you have good self discipline you may find yourself taking extra tea breaks or stopping to watch America's Next Top Model!
I will be honest there have been times during this year when I have had 0 motivation, and struggled with my self confidence.

I have spent many hours thinking of business ideas and photo shoot ideas, writing copious notes on my journeys on public transport but being slightly too scared to put many of them into action!
Thinking of ways to make the business fun, making my social networking pages interesting and interact with the very kind people who have taken the time to follow me, and support me over this year can be daunting. It can be hard to try and make all the posts interesting when there is not much happening with the business, and I'm pretty sure people don't find the fact I am trying to do my first tax return that riveting!
We are in a new era when being visible and updating our status and interacting on others pages and sites are the way business is moving now, and has very quickly become the norm. But I don't always have much going on! Does everyone else and I am just missing out?!
But not having that much going on can cost you! I have noticed my followers dwindle when you don't keep up a regular presence, as people move off to find other more exciting pages. I have to say the recently I can't blame them, as I know that I have not given people much to get their teeth into. I keep telling myself that next month I will be better, and I will have fun things to post up, and little nuggets of genius wisdom to amaze  folks with, but um.... it has not quite happened! Next year I will be better.... I sort of promise!

But as 2011 draws to a close I am trying to find the determination to starting putting in place the changes that I have planned to take the business forward in 2012. I hope that this time next year I can look back and feel proud of what I have achieved, and that the ideas I have now, are in fruition.
I have recently reviewed Asmartartz Photography and decided that I need to be true to me to make the business a success, and for that to happen I have to be honest to myself and with myself. So that means that I have updated what I offer, and have taken some of the packages off. I no longer offer weddings, and my last wedding was on the 1st October in glorious sunshine. I have also minimised the portrait packages.
I have also finally reviewed my prices which was very much overdue. Despite several people telling me that my prices were too low I was nervous of pushing customers away if I brought them into line for what they should be, but it seems that there has been a good chance that I was putting them off by them being too low!

At the start of next year I hope to implement the next phase of the business plan I have and this will involve splitting the business again. This should allow the business to flow better and also allow me to concentrate more on the parts that I think will be a bigger success.

This is computer dependant though! I have been having computer issues for the last 5-6 months or so, and the new desktop that I invested in has been nothing but a headache. Once that problem is sorted and the computer can be relied upon not to fall over and crash once a day I will then implement my plans for world domination! It is quite hard to run a business successfully when around 70-80% of the work is computer and desk bound and the computer doesn't work! In the meantime I will see if I can convince PC World that they should replace my machine with just over a week left on the warranty!!! Don't hold your breath I hear you cry! But they might be feeling festive, and if not i have already got my eye on a new computer!

In the New Year look out for new business sneak peeks and tantalising glimpses of what's to come (hint hint) next year.
So until then I hope you all have a great Christmas and have lots of Festive fun, good food and a good rest!
Take care
Andrea


0 comments: